Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:45:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

Somebody said something about the significance of FORTRAN that reminded me
of this little snippet I've been saving for years, apparently just for
this occasion.  :-)

The following comes from a posting to comp.lang.fortran
dated 13 Jan 1996, by Ralph Frisbie:

  "I have seen many fancy languages come, flash, and go.  Each
  seems to leave some value, to make some real progress in design
  or engineering.  And then each fades from overwhelming
  popularity to some lower level of use.  So, I have formulated
  Frisbie's lemma:

  "The world's last _____(fill in here the name of your favorite post-
  1960 language)_____ programmer will be driven to his grave in a
  hearse designed by Fortran over bridges and freeways designed
  by Fortran, and his grave diggers will get their checks printed by
  COBOL....."

--
Dr. Brian Handy                         Mail:  handy@physics.montana.edu
Department of Physics                   Phone: (406) 994-6317