Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:20:47 -0500
From:      "Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Physical and virtual memory limits?

  I thought that I had seen a discussion a while back over whether or not
FreeBSD 3.x supported 4Gig of physical memory. However, the handbook states
that the maximum tested is 1Gig http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ50.html; has
anyone used FreeBSD 3.x with more than 1Gig of memory, and if so, can we
update the handbook?
  While thinking about this, 2 more questions arose: 1) what is the
theoretical maximum virtual memory (4Gig per process x a whole lot of
processes), but can the VM system actually handle more than 4Gig of virtual
memory (assuming you have the swap)?
  And finally, is there any interest (or even current work being done) to
support the 36-bit addressesing extensions available on most, Intel at
least, 686-class processors? That would allow us to support up to 64Gig of
physical memory. If not, I'de be glad to work on it (does anyone have >4Gig
of memory so I can test it though? :) )

  Thanks,

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@posi.net~