Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:59:50 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ssh and scp fail connecting to a root account

> > On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Udo Schweigert wrote:
> >
> > > The strange: both commands succeed if connecting to a non-root account.
> > >
> > > Are there any others with these problems? Any clues?
> >
> > run sshd -d on the server, ssh -d on the client, and send me the output
>
> Hmm, I've been seeing this problem too.  I ran sshd -p 1234 -d and it
> worked ok.  I then killed the running sshd and started sshd -d and it
> worked too.  I then ran sshd.... and it worked.
>
> I'll look into this some more when I can reboot the machine :-/

This is what I get on the server:

hak:~ $ sudo sshd -d
debug: sshd version OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug: read DSA private key done
debug: Bind to port 22 on ::.
Server listening on :: port 22.
debug: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from localhost port 1031
Connection from ::1 port 1031
debug: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Attempting authentication for brian.
Accepted rsa for brian from ::1 port 1031
debug: session_new: init
debug: session_new: session 0
debug: Allocating pty.
debug: Received request for X11 forwarding with auth spoofing.
debug: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: channel 0: new [X11 inet listener]
debug: fd 9 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: channel 1: new [X11 inet listener]
debug: Received authentication agent forwarding request.
debug: fd 10 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug: channel 2: new [auth socket]
debug: Entering interactive session.
debug: no set_nonblock for tty fd 3
debug: Setting controlling tty using TIOCSCTTY.
debug: no set_nonblock for tty fd 4
debug: server_init_dispatch_13
debug: server_init_dispatch_15
debug: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
debug: Received SIGCHLD.
debug: tvp!=NULL kid 1 mili 10
debug: tvp!=NULL kid 1 mili 100
debug: End of interactive session; stdin 0, stdout (read 310, sent 310), stderr 0 bytes.
debug: channel_free: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:

debug: channel_free: channel 1: status: The following connections are open:

debug: channel_free: channel 2: status: The following connections are open:

Disconnecting: Command terminated on signal 6.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x8053874(0x0)
debug: xauthfile_cleanup_proc called
debug: Calling cleanup 0x8060ee0(0x0)
debug: Calling cleanup 0x80538e8(0x80758c0)
debug: pty_cleanup_proc: /dev/ttyp2
debug: Calling cleanup 0x805b890(0x0)
hak:~ $

And on the client I see this:

hak:~ $ ssh -v localhost
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.2.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 15 geteuid 15 anon 1
debug: Connecting to localhost [::1] port 22.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.2.0
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Forcing accepting of host key for loopback/localhost.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
debug: Trying RSA authentication via agent with 'brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org'
debug: Received RSA challenge from server.
debug: Sending response to RSA challenge.
debug: Remote: RSA authentication accepted.
debug: RSA authentication accepted by server.
debug: Requesting pty.
debug: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
debug: Requesting shell.
debug: Entering interactive session.
Last login: Sat Sep 16 13:54:54 2000 from localhost
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT (HAK) #1: Sat Sep 16 13:24:21 BST 2000
sshd in realloc():Received disconnect: Command terminated on signal 6.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x804db94(0x0)
debug: Calling cleanup 0x8056fe4(0x0)
hak:~ $

The client works ok connecting to older machines.
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>