Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:35:54 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Very interesting benchmarking results...

Folks,

	Some of you may remember some previous benchmarking I had done
with vinum under FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE against a DPT SmartRAID IV
controller w/ 64MB of cache (see
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/FreeBSD/vinum.html>).  Well, I
have recently updated those tests to include vinum under FreeBSD
4.1-STABLE and a DPT SmartRAID V controller w/ 16MB cache.

	I haven't updated the page listed above yet, because I wanted to
get your feedback on what you thought these results might mean.  I
have my own views, but I'd like to hear yours.

	Anyway, the graphs are at
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/FreeBSD/vinum-dpt-rr.png>; (random
read), and in that same directory there is also vinum-dpt-rw.png
(random write), vinum-dpt-sr.png (sequential read), and
vinum-dpt-sw.png (sequential write).

	I hope I did the conversion to PNG correctly -- neither of the
web browsers I have seems to support this format, so I can't confirm
for myself whether this looks correct or not.  ;-)

	After a few days, I'll post my own ideas of what I think these
results mean.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium