Date:      18 Oct 1999 15:20:53 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting ext2 partitions on freebsd and freebsd slices on linux

Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com> writes:

> I'm familiar with linux, but not with freebsd.  I've just installed 3.1 on
> my local IDE disk, having linux installed on a scsi disk with an adaptec
> 1522 controller.
>
> I'd like to be able to mount the freebsd partition/slices under linux
> while I configure freebsd.  The linux mount man page doesn't seem to clear
> about how to mount the freebsd slices (I think that's what you call them).

You want to enable UFS filesystem support, and in the disklabels section of
your 'make menuconfig' you should also enable at least the BSD disklabels.

Then at boot you will see except for the /dev/hda1 stuff, a list of the
disklabels recognized by your linux kernel.  You should be able to mount the
filesystems with something like:

	mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd DISKLABEL /mnt

> Also when freebsd supports the adaptec 1522, which the 3.1 and 3.2 notes
> indicate will happen "in the future", how can I mount the linux partitions
> under freebsd?

You enable the EXT2FS filesystem in your kernel configuration.  Then use the
device of the 'slice' (what linux calls partition), certainly not a disklabel,
as the mount device, i.e.:

	# mount -t ext2fs /dev/sd0s1 /mnt

Enjoy,

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"That field hath eyen, and the wood hath ears." [Geoffrey Chaucer, 1328-1400]