Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:04:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte), FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   Re: Turbochannel based Alpha, quickie question

Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > # A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc, amd) is
> > # sufficient for any number of installed devices.
> > controller      ncr0
> > controller      isp0
> > #controller     esp0
> >
> > in GENERIC. I mean, esp is the driver for the 53C94 ncr scsi chip.
> > Is there any particular reason why it is commented out in GENERIC?
> > Floppy disk size limit maybe?
>
> The 53c94 driver didn't make the CAM switchover.
>
> I've got EISA and MCA based 53c94 devices just waiting for a driver so
> I've some interest in seeing this fixed at some point.

Well, you might want to look at what it would take to get the AMD driver
working with that hardware.  It might be easier than porting the esp driver
to CAM.  My guess is that the NetBSD esp driver would be a good place to
look -- it supposedly works with AMD 53c974 chips as well as ESP chips and
NCR 53c94 chips.  So you could see what the differences are between the
various chips there.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry