Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Leonard den Ottolander <leonardjo@hetnet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Posting patch concerning linux extended to freebsd-fs?

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> 		Hi folks!
>
>  I would like to submit a (three line) patch to enable the use of linux
> extended filesystem. Note: Extended as in dos extended, not ext2fs . The linux
> extended partition is just a dos extended partition with a different
> identifier, as not to confuse dos.
>  I am not sure whether the freebsd-fs list is used only for matters concerning
> the BSD filesystem, or postings on compatibility with other filesystems are
> welcome here as well.

  Send us the patches. :)

  Out of curiosity, what exactly does your patch do? DOS extended partitions
are logically just mini-disks with their own partition table. The idea being
to be able to chain partition tables (in theory, it could be a tree, but DOS
can only handle chaining). I find it hard to believe that a 3 line patch would
be enought to enumerate the partitions inside extended partitions, must less
with arbitrary depth. But I've been amazed before :)

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Belmont, CA
System Administrator, eGroups.com                  http://www.egroups.com/