Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:45:11 -0500
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of /usr file system (was: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:17:35AM -0500, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
> Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org> wrote:

> > > I've seen a system which does this.  I think it was Inactive.  It's
> > > certainly a reasonable option, maybe even worth being the default.
> >
> > OpenBSD does this. The only manual pages that are installed in
> > /usr/share/man are pre-formatted catman pages. /usr/share/man/man*
> > exist, but are empty.
>
> So of course, when the end-user wants to zcat /usr/share/man/manx/y.x.gz |
> groff -Tps -mdoc | lpr, they happily install the source tree to be able to
> do this?

Since it has been this way since OpenBSD 2.5, if not earlier, I
think it is safe to say that that is not a high-demand function
of the OS by OpenBSD users. Thinking about it, I don't think I
have ever printed a manual page.

It may be worth mentioning that OpenBSD's avoidance of pre-
formatted nroff source isn't accompanied by some GNU-like deprecation
and stagnation of manual pages in favour of something different;
OpenBSD people seem to put a lot of effort into improving their
manual pages, and they are typically very good.

Joe