Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 21:38:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Neil Bliss <yoda@integratus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUNWSpro compile?

> Neil Bliss wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, I had heard from several different places that for kernel code on a
> > sun, you had to use sun's compiler.
> > That may be misinformation, but it's what I had heard...

No, you don't necessarily have to use the Sun compiler. But there are two
issues- one is runtime support- you may have to link with libgcc.a if you use
gcc instead- for example, for ia32 if you use any uint64_t types where you
have to do a mul or div op the compiler will generate calls to runtime code
that only is in libgcc- not in the Solaris kernel.

The other issue is, and I haven't checked this out in a while, but there was
some question as to whether the GCC sparc v9 code generator was generating
correct 64 bit code- this was just a rumour, and since I have a SUNWpro
compiler, I just use gcc for the semantic checking it does.

A major motivating point for the DDI/DKI was that Solaris would ship w/o a
compiler. Ergo, 3rd party driver distributions would be binary only and
would be run time linked (no binary config(8)). So, no, it was never an intent
that you had to buy the Sun compiler.