Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:41:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Greg Stringfellow <greg@smokey.prismnet.com>
To:        jsuter@moon.intrastar.net
Cc:        kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem connecting to K56Flex PM-3

Jacob Suter said:
> > The ISP that I subscribe to and I are having trouble
> > understanding why I cannot connect to there upgraded
> > Portmaster 3 K56Flex with my Taicom (cheap) MU32PV 14.4
> > internal UMC V.32bis/FAX/VOICE MODEM,  S/W  Ver 6.05/ V1.0-A.
>
> In my experience all 'cheap' (read: 'low quality components') modems have
> compatability problems.  'cheap' modems usually have problems handling odd
> things (I'm sure the kflex modem tone-up is a bit different), and it just
> hoses the modem and you don't get the results you want to...  I've
> personally had this problem with every modem since a 2400...  Cheaper in
> price generally doesn't mean its less expensive :)
>
> >From my experience, Supra has been my best modems yet, but I haven't tried
> to use kflex (our switch is a real classic - DMS-10, with plenty of its own
> problems causing us not to be able to use it), but I'd suspect they would
> be making a quality kflex capable modem pretty cheap.

If the modems won't connect, try putting a few commas after the dialup
string. That way, it gets past the initial tone. This trick has worked for
quite a few modems.

Oh, we've seen problems with almost every brand of WinModem available.

Also, V.42bis in the current 3.7 release of the PM-3 code is broken. On
modems that are having a hard time staying online turn off V.42bis and/or
error correction.

Greg

--
    Greg Stringfellow	     	   PrismNet, Inc. - Austin, TX USA
  Network Administration	WWW Pages, ISDN, Telnet, Dialup Accounts

"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat"