Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2013 12:55:49 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: which version of FBSD should i install?

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 18:55:04 -0800
Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:

> 	ms well use my 2005 Thinkpad.  it is reasonably fast at
> 3.06GHz. should clue me in on how much stuff I need to compile to
> test.

You should be able to run anything from 7.4, 8.3, 9.1 to 10.0.

I mention 7.4 here for a simple reason. It could be that your old
machine uses some USB hardware, which is not supported from 8.0 onwards.

I would say, if it works, use 9.1. If not check out 7.4. If this then
works, you could check 10 out.

8.3 is the version which is the most robust one as the new stuff did
not arrive there yet.

Erich