Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 20:23:00 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mark Peek <mark@whistle.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cross builds and upgrade path from 4.x are broken in usr.bin/file

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 10:04:01AM -0700, Mark Peek wrote:
> At 7:14 PM +0300 8/10/01, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 08:38:21AM -0700, Mark Peek wrote:
> >  > At 5:37 PM +0300 8/10/01, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >  > I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cross-platform"
> >>  installworld. Do you mean "build on a HOST platform and install on
> >>  TARGET", or "build on a HOST, install on HOST but using a TARGET
> >>  disk"?
> >>
> >I meant the latter here.
>
> Has this ever worked?
> Is it really a goal of the project to have it work?

Yes.  Imagine that you are rolling an Alpha release on an i386 box.

> If it is, then there's more work to be done than just "file".

Probably, haven't checked this recently.

> What about the timezone files and perl? Both of these run during the
> install phase.

This shouldn't be a problem as long as they are properly bootstrapped
(if needed).

> If this is really a goal, then you should redesign the
> process and not put more and more tools into the "build tools"
> category to work around these problems.

Take a look at sysinstall/Makefile to have a better idea of what
a "pure" build tool is, rtermcap.  It is just the first incident
(with file(1)) that it's also a build-tool for its own .mgc files.

> >  > I believe the only scenario that is supportable is the former
> >>  and you should always run installworld on the TARGET platform.
> >>
> >Why?  Both should be supported, but the latter is only possible
> >if we don't "build" anything at "install" time, as with my patch.
> >My solution works in both cases.
>
> Your solution does not work. You're creating binary files in HOST
> format during the build phase and expecting things such as alignment
> and endianness to be the same as the TARGET format. Unless the tools
> are built to output for either the appropriate architecture or in a
> portable, binary format, you will have problems reading the file on
> the TARGET platform. It probably works for you since you're doing a
> 4.X->5.0 upgrade on the same platform.

What?  ``file -C'' produces different output on Alpha and on i386?
Are you sure?  (Haven't checked myself.)

> Ruslan, it's clear that you have a different goal in mind for cross
> platform builds and want to run installworld on the HOST system. The
> simple fact is that this does not work today, does not work with my
> patch and will continue to not work with your patch. My patch will at
> least allow the files to be created in the correct format and allow
> for cross platform HOST builds and TARGET installs.

Yes, my goal is to have "everything" work.  The fact that some other
parts of the src/ tree may (ATM) break cross-platform installworlds,
does not mean we should add more to this breakage.

> >"Mark's patch doesn't work quite right." - ru
>
> I'll be nice and assume you forgot a :-) on that comment. My patch
> works with the current build structure. It just doesn't work for your
> intended use.

Err.  Your patch does not solve the 4.x -> 5.0 upgrade path breakage,
hence no smiley.  Don't you see?  (The libc.so.4 vs libc.so.5 issue.)
And this is the MUST to work.  I'm mostly concerned about this rather
than of cross-platform building.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,