Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:52:19 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Kim Okasawa <kimokasawa@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any security issues with root's cron job?

--WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 09:59:15AM +0900, Kim Okasawa wrote:
>=20
> Dear all,
>=20
> I want to set up a crob job to run a script (Perl or shell).  The script=
=20
> will be read/write/exec by root only (i.e. 700 or -rwx------).  It will r=
un=20
> /sbin/ipfw periodically to change rules according to need.
>=20
> Can anyone think of any potential security risks to such practice?  Any=
=20
> suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

I can see no problem with that as far as you described it; any potential
problems would crawl out of the 'according to need' part.  You'd better
be damn sure that no one but specially-authorized-sysadmin-processes can
indicate 'need'.

Other than that, no, there is no problem with root cron jobs per se, as
long as you are careful :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20