Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 2016 07:14:38 -0500
From:      Carmel <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ohauer@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mail/postfix and mail/postfix-current need upgrading

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 02:45:25 +0100, Mark Martinec stated:

>|Obviously, the ports are not in sync with the current Stable and
>|Experimental branches of Postfix.
>
>Olli Hauer wrote:
>> No they are not and I plan the following to let users some time
>> for the transition to 3.1.
>> - mail/postfix (2.11.7) -> mail/postfix211
>> - mail/postfix-current (3.0.4) -> mail/postfix
>> - postfix-current will be updated to 3.1.0 (released this week)
>>
>> In some weeks 3.1.x will become the default postfix, and 3.0.x
>> will be removed from the tree, postfix211 will stay as the last
>> postfix 2.x releases and current will become again current.
>> There are some users using VDA patches, only available for
>> postfix 2.8 but it also works on 2.11, there is no support from
>> the VDA project for 3.x and it seems the VDA project is no longer
>> alive.
>

>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:29:43 -0800 (PST), Roger Marquis stated:
>>> 3.2 is an experimental release.
>>> It would be misleading to label it current.
>
>On 2016-02-26 20:32, Carmel wrote:
>> The experimental version of Postfix has been labeled
>> "postfix-current" for as long as I can remember. To change it now
>> would really confuse some users.
>

>This was indeed the case (postfix-current == "The experimental"
>(development) version) a few years back. It was kept closely
>up-to-date with the latest development release. I lived under
>impression that it still is supposed to be so (but just happen
>to be lagging a bit) - but apparently this is no longer so.
>
>I wish the postfix-current would track the latest development release
>as it used to do. It made it possible for FreeBSD users to more
>fruitfully contribute back to the project by quickly responding
>to new features and potential problems.
>
>If this is deemed unsuitable, then there should be a new port
>mail/postfix-devel to track the latest releases  (although then
>I don't know to what purpose a postfix-current would serve).
>
>   Mark

\mail\postfix-XXX	Older versions of Postfix
\mail\postfix-stable	Latest stable version of Postfix
\mail\postfix-current	Experimental version of Postfix

As each "experimental" becomes stable, it is given a "postfix-stable"
designation and the old stable release is given a "postfix-XXX"
designation. The new postfix experimental release then assumes the
"postfix-current" title.

My only concern with changing the name "postfix-current" to
"postfix-devel" or whatever is for historical purposes. I have always
known it by the latter designations plus I am not sure if it would
cause a problem in the ports system if it were to be renamed.

In any case, the "postfix" ports were always kept up-to-date in virtual
real time. Now they seem to lag behind. I am unsure as to what has
happened.

--
Carmel