Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:56:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        fbscsi@ildm.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Canisters

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 fbscsi@ildm.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm just curious...  Is there a consensus on a good manufacturer for scsi
> canisters?  Specifically, ones that work well with U2W LVD and U160?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Brennon Church

  Canisters?  I guess you mean hot swap bays?  Personally, I've sworn off
those individual hotswap bays.  They introduce so many connections, and so
many opportunities for problems.  I really don't know if it is possible to
maintain U2 or U160 quality cabling first from a ribbon cable to the
outside of the bay, then through the stub cable inside the cartridge to
the drive.

  I always go for backplane type solutions that use SCA connector drives
that plug right into a backplane.  You only need one cable and one
connector to connect the backplane to the controller.

  Many servers (Dell, IBM, etc) have SCSI backplanes standard in their
servers.  The Dell PowerEdge 4200 is nice (6 hotswap bays on a backplane).
So is the IBM Netfinity 4500R/x340 (3 stock hotswap bays on a backplane,
another backplane with another three drives can be added).

  You can get internal enclosures that use the backplanes too.  I like the
DPT RAIDStation 7.  DPT doesn't actually make them, they just put their
name on them.  They are the same enclosures that NetApp uses for their
storage servers.  They have a SCSI (U2/U160) backplane, have redundant
power and fans.  Plus they are SAF-TE compliant, so drive, power,
temparature, and fan status is available to your controller.  With many
RAID controllers, this makes drive replacements automatic, as SAF-TE
enclosures allow the controller to detect drive insertion properly.

Tom