Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 00:55:33 +0000
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for review: xargs standards compliance

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 08:04:29PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 11:11 PM +0000 3/15/02, J. Mallett wrote:
> >The patch is available here:
> >	http://people.freebsd.org/~jmallett/xargs.patch
> >
> >Relative to -rHEAD right now.
> >
> >In detail, it adds: -E, -I, -L, -t; As far as flags go.
>
> I like the idea, I particularly like the idea when someone
> else writes all the code...  :-)

Then credit goes about half to me and half to Tim Robbins and um
an extra half to Mike Barcroft for not letting me let things rot.

> I don't see why you added:
> +# $xMach: Makefile,v 1.1.1.2 2002/02/22 19:31:35 jmallett Exp $
> to the makefile.  But it probably will need a $FreeBSD$ in there
> somewhere, or you'll have trouble when you go to check it in.

It's because I synched the entire dir with what xMach has (though
not path*.h as it changed not at all).  I can remove it trivially.

> For the new routine strnsubst.c, I believe the current practice
> for including $FreeBSD$ in a '.c' file is not to add it to a
> comment, but to add:
>
> #include <sys/cdefs.h>
> __FBSDID("$FreeBSD$");
>
> after that first comment block.  (I believe there's supposed to
> be a blank line between the closing '*/' and the include for
> sys/cdefs.h, and no blank line between that and the __FBSDID
> line)

You're right, sorry about that, I was thinking for a second that
was only for the file with main in it, but the id string is static
so it doesn't matter does it.

> The actual update looks OK, but I've only skimmed through it
> and I haven't tried to apply it and put it through any torture
> testing.

The actual update looks like what the standards ask for;  It's
rather evil.

> >I'm looking to commit this after the weekend, so review would
> >be appreciated, comments and flames welcome...  Three days
> >sound good?
>
> It would be better to wait more than just a weekend.  Despite
> popular folklore, many of us do sometimes go thru a whole
> weekend without checking the mailing lists for new code... :-)

I can include monday with that without a problem.

I just know if this sits in my TODO list much longer it's going
to rot away to death.

I'll update the patch with what you've mentioned...  Tomorrow,
I'll leave this message marked unread, and I'll reply mentioning
when a new one is available...

Comments on other {,de}merits of the patch welcome.

Thanks,

	/j.