Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:57:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   usb2 + HP ScanJet 4300C -- more information

Hello,

As I wrote recently, the scanner attaches to ugen instead
of uscanner.  There is no device in /dev, and SANE doesn't
find the scanner.

I've set theses sysctls:
   hw.usb2.debug=15
   hw.usb2.uscannerdebug=15

The full kernel output (plugging in the scanner) is here:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/tmp/usb2-scanner-log.txt

The word "scan" doesn't appear anywhere, so I wonder if
the failure is in the uscanner code at all.
Is there anything else I can do?

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  Just for reference, this is the output from
usbconfig dump_device_desc:

ugen0.2: <Scanjet 4300C Hewlett Packard> at usbus0, cfg=255 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0100
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
  idVendor = 0x03f0
  idProduct = 0x0305
  bcdDevice = 0x0000
  iManufacturer = 0x000a  <retrieving string failed>
  iProduct = 0x000b  <retrieving string failed>
  iSerialNumber = 0x000c  <retrieving string failed>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

Oh by the way, the command "usbconfig -u 0 -a 2 set_config 255"
seems to work successfully (it returns immediately without
any message).  Trying to set any other config number results
in "I/O error" after a few seconds.

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson