Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:16:11 -0500
From:      Sandro Mancuso <sandro.m@videotron.ca>
To:        'TheUaRT' <theuart@hotmail.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD

"The[UaRT]" there's a simple reason for this.  Too many people act too
na=EFve, which can be very irritating for those trying to ask.  I may =
add
that looking for help on IRC is perhaps the worst route.  You'll
generally get much less help, in that respect I agree with you with
respect to their arrogance.  Very often they don't know enough to really
help you either I've gathered.  Those that do, won't.  However the
perceived arrogance can be justified imho.  Like you, I'm a relative
newbie.  The problem is that all too often, the newbie looks for someone
to do everything for him/her.  Rather than trying to solve a problem,
they will look for someone to solve it for them, and they just expect
the perfect answers to all.  Its just not like that, and moreover, it is
not the best way to learn.  Imagine this scenario.  You're in school,
you have an assignment to do that a teacher hands out to you, but WITH
the answers.  The result is (no matter what you say, with years of
experience you'll wind up agreeing) invariably that one will not
actually learn from this assignment if asked about it later.  The
problem here is twofold.  Its nice and all to have the answer, but the
steps involved in finding a solution is not known, so the "student" will
never know how to come to that answer.  Secondly, I personally feel that
one's retention of what's going on is lessened by easily just feeding
them the answer.  Its just too easy to "cheat."

But I digress.  What I have always told everyone is the following.  I
have FreeBSD installed on 2 machines.  Now that they're working well, I
learn nothing.  However, for 3-4 months I kept running into little
problems with them.  I worked at it until they worked to my liking.  Its
during this period that I learned a great deal about FreeBSD.  You see
what I'm getting at?  Quick example:  At one point my IP was assigned to
me via DHCP.  I was having a very difficult time getting it to work for
me.  I had to change some stuff with respect to dhclient to get it
working without dropping my IP every 12 hrs.  Now, had someone simply
told me "do this this and this in dhclient.conf" what would I have
learned? I still would have no idea why I did it, or why it wasn't
working to begin with, so I can deal with it again in the future.

One last thing:  These people are here to help, yes.  However they are
certainly not paid for this assistance they provide.  Therefore, in
order to reduce the number of questions they get, many self help tools
have been made available.  Thus the "RTFM" statements you'll often get.
You get what you pay for in the end (which is not meant to take away
from the value of this free operating system) so if you aren't paying
2-300$ for an OS, don't expect there to be someone at the other end of
an 800 number holding your hand either.

Just "my two cents"

Sandro Mancuso

"Windows is the virus, Linux is the Vaccine
FreeBSD is the cure."