Date:      30 Sep 1999 00:17:56 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, reg@shale.csir.co.za
Subject:   Re: Bad interaction between libtool version check and patches

 * From: Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>

 *   I was trying to install linux_base, which tried to install rpm, which
 * tried to install gdbm.  gdbm complained that my libtool was out of
 * date; so I pushd /usr/ports/whatever/libtool; make install; popd.
 * Now I'm back in linux_base, and I say "make" again, but this time
 * the gdbm port fails because its patches were already applied and it's
 * trying to patch again.
 *
 *   It'd be nice if failing the libtool version check didn't leave the
 * port in an inconsistent state; now I have to go down 2 levels of
 * dependencies (or scroll back past 50 lines of "Exit 1") and make clean.
 * I don't have any brilliant suggestions, other than splitting the
 * patch-libtool target into pre-patch-libtool which checks the version
 * and post-patch-libtool which does whatever else.

Actually, I was wondering if we can't just move this whole thing
before all the pre-* invocations.  Jeremy, is there any reason this
has to be done after the actual patching?  The patches can be made to
apply to the pre-libtool-patch'd files, right?

Satoshi