Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 23:31:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        wayne@msen.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ETinc cards, PPP and OSPF

In article <m0yqAEy-0003cUC@ilium.troy.msen.com> you write:

>Please reply TO ME and not just to the list as I am still waiting
>(3 days now) for my subscription to this list to be approved.
>

>We are doing an evaluation of the ETinc T1 cards, using them in PPP
>mode.  So far, I have been completely unable to get them to respond to
>OSPF packets from our routers.  Since the interfaces supplied by ETinc
>cards do not operate in multicast mode, I have added to my gated.conf
>
>interfaces {
>        define 148.59.21.129 pointtopoint 148.59.21.130 ;
>        } ;
>
>but this seems to not make a difference (the router remains in INIT
>state) sending multicast packets at the ETinc card and the ETinc card
>never responds.
>
>I assume that I am missing something obvious but need a fresh outlook
>on this problem as I have run out of ideas.

I have ETinc+OSPF(gated) working just fine.

It took me a while to find the magic bullet though.

Here are some snippets from a gated.conf file...

routerid 209.157.69.253 ;

rip no ;

bgp no ;

ospf yes {
        backbone {
                authtype simple ;
                networks {
                        209.157.64.0 mask 255.255.224.0;
                        140.174.82.0 mask 255.255.255.0;
                        209.66.121.0 mask 255.255.255.0;
                } ;
                interface eth0 nonbroadcast {
                                pollinterval 2;
#                               routers {
#                                       209.157.69.21 eligible ;
#                               } ;
                                enable ;
                                retransmitinterval 2;
                                authkey "latenite" ;
                                transitdelay 1;
                                priority 88;
                                hellointerval 2;
                                routerdeadinterval 10;
                        } ;
                stubhosts {
                        209.157.69.253 cost 1 ;
                } ;
        } ;
        traceoptions "/var/log/gated.ospf.log" size 1m files 5 packets;
} ;

The trick was that I had to identify the interface by name
rather than IP address.

-Dave