Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:33:07 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multithreaded qsort(3)

Max Laier wrote this message on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 18:27 +0100:
> I'd suggest to name it qsort() and put it in a separate library (not
> necessarily named libc_mt, as I don't believe there are that many
> functions in libc, that can actually gain from multithreading).

What happens when you attempt to link a library that uses qsort, but
isn't multi-thread safe?  You may be able to protect calls to the
library w/ a lock, but then when it calls qsort, the library would
break..

Keeping the qsort name sounds ripe for problems down the road...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579