Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:57:52 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: confusing aaccli output

Josh Brooks wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am seeing this in aaccli:
>
> AAC0> container list
> Executing: container list
> Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
> Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
> ----- ------ ------ --- ------ ------- ------ -------------
>  0    Mirror 34.1GB            Open    0:01:0 64.0KB:34.1GB
>  /dev/aacd0           array01          0:00:0 64.0KB!34.1GB
>
>  1    Mirror 34.1GB            Open    0:02:0 64.0KB:34.1GB
>  /dev/aacd1           array02          0:03:0 64.0KB:34.1GB
>

> At first glance it looks fine.  Two healthy containers.  But what is that
> exclamation point:
>
>  0:00:0 64.0KB!34.1GB
>
> Interesting.  Now I look at /var/log/messages:
>

> Feb  9 17:26:36 system /kernel: aac0: **Monitor** Drive 0:0:0 returning
> error
> Feb  9 17:26:36 system /kernel: aac0: **Monitor** ID(0:00:0) - drive
> failure (retries exhausted)
> Feb  9 17:26:36 system /kernel: aac0: **Monitor** Mirror Container 0 Drive
> 0:0:0 Failure
> Feb  9 17:26:46 system /kernel: aac0: **Monitor** Mirror Failover
> Container
> 0 no failover assigned
>

> So what is going on here ? messages tell me I have a broken mirror, but
> aaccli shows me a healthy one.

As noted above, the card took scsi driver 0:0:0 offline due to
errors, so the mirror is running in degraded mode.  I admit that
the output from aaccli isn't terribly obvious here...

> Iam afraid to run a:
>
> container set failover
>
> because aaccli shows it as already belonging to the container...

Eh?  'container set failover' allows you to assign one or more
drives as either global or dedicated spares.  The firmware won't
really let you add the failed drive as a spare (not without some
tickery, at least), so you'll need to shove a new drive into the
mix and assign it as the spare.  You'll also need to enable
automatic rebuilds, and then everything will be good to go.

If you're really in a bind because you didn't budget for a spare
drive (shame on you!), pull out the drive that was marked as failed,
put it on a regular scsi controller, do a low-level format of it,
then put it back on the aac controller and add it as the spare.
There's a good chance, though, that if the drive failed once then
it's going to fail again.

Scott