Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 02:35:39 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        gmarco@giovannelli.it (Gianmarco Giovannelli)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is possible that our bootblock ...

> ... that is installed by boot0cfg is not able to boot Linux partition,
> even if they are corrected identified ?

At least RedHat has taken to installing Linux in extended DOS partitions
by default.  (I've no idea about other distributions.)  Unless you're
going to rely on LILO or some other non-standard boot manager, you don't
want to do this for two reasons:

    o Linux has no business being in an extended DOS partition in the
      first place.

    o Only primary partitions are startable (bootable).

However, you can override this and ensure that a primary partition is
used.  If that is done, boot0 boots RH 5.2 fine.

> It works only with Linux partition installed by Debian (2.1)...  All
> the other (Redhat 5.2, 6.0 ; Suse 6.1, turbolinux, Mandrake, Slackware
> etc etc ) fails to boot and appears the prompt F? ... everything else
> (FreeBSD or windows) boot correctly...

If you are getting a F? prompt, you're using BootEasy not boot0.

--
Robert Nordier