Date:      Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:36:55 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What happened to teTeX?

----Security_Multipart(Fri_Jun__3_12_36_55_2005_378)--

"M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@scms.utmb.edu> wrote
  in <200506022212.22264.bdodson@scms.utmb.edu>:

bd> Hmmm... OK, I can do that.  A question though.  I've been using
bd> teTeX on FreeBSD since the port entered the tree (2.0?).  Why
bd> the change?  Is that something unique to the updated port or
bd> a change in teTeX?

 Your TEXINPUTS works with teTeX 2.0, but it just happens to
 work because /usr/local/share/texmf which is used by teTeX
 is specified in the TEXINPUTS _manually_.  This directory
 is changed in teTeX 3.0.  It is that simple.

 This is one of the changes in teTeX 3.0, not a specific
 change to the port.  Using TEXINPUTS in this way (w/o a
 trailing ":") is not recommended well before because with
 hard-coded TEXINPUTS, change of the directory layout (using
 non-default $PREFIX, for example) easily breaks teTeX.