Date:      Sat, 09 Aug 1997 02:43:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        filo@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange difference between DPT and Adaptec

Sorry for the delay.  Was very, very busy.  I respond to mail on demand but
sometimes forget to read the list.  Sorry.

Hi David Filo;  On 05-Aug-97 you wrote:

> The drive in question was not in a raid array, but was target 0 on bus
> 0 (only one controller is used).  BTW, the problem persists if
> original drive is moved to target 1 bus 0, with a boot disk at target
> 0.

I really do not remember the details, but b0t0 is definitely a special case.
If the DPT firmware thinks your drive is a new addition, it ignores all
these
special meanings.  If not, it will confuse things.  Report it as a bug to
DPT support.

> I've noticed this when trying to build arrays from scratch using
> drives that used to be in arrays.  I learned that you need to delete
> the arrays with dptmgr before rearranging things.

Yup.  Only sometimes this is not an option.  I always keep an Adaptec on
hand.
For one thing it knows to lowlevel format the drives without booting an O/S.
I may be able to release a DPT firmware that does that.  I need to certify
it
and get permission to post it.

> Okay, but i still don't understand what's going on.  When we buy
> drives we don't low-level format them.  Just plop them in and run
> fdisk, disklabel, and newfs.  No problems to date.

I have never seen a problem with new drives either.  Just taking a drive
that
has filesystems, partitions, etc.  seems to be a good way to ruin a weekend.

> Will low-level format reserve space in the DPT case?  Does extra space
> need to be reserved with fdisk for the DPT?

I do not know.  No.

> Does this mean you can't clone a machine by simply dd'ing the disk if
> the destination adapter (say DPT) was not used to build the original
> disk (say 2940)?

Again, i hesitate to answer this one.  I clone systems with DPT for DPT,
Adaptec for Adaptec.  Well, I do not clone systems, Manufacturing does...
I can ask.

Simon