Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:02:23 +0100
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        jasone@canonware.com (Jason Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

According to Jason Evans:
> I don't know details), but SME is having me work on the port.  I'm a
> full-time employee of SME, and estimate that I can spend 30-35 hours per
> week of my work week on the SPARC FreeBSD porting effort (plus whatever
> personal time I spend).

That looks like a great idea to me, though I'm quite surprised that
Sun supports this since they've been desperately trying to kill SunOS
for years...

> 1) Is it possible with cvsup to maintain my own source tree with my
> modifications, yet stay synched with current, so that once I have the
> kernel running, I can submit a single update to the current tree (or have
> someone with write access do it for me)?

Since NetBSD already runs quite fine on many SPARC models, maybe
it would be a good idea to consider using their code as a starting
point. On the other hand they would surely be pretty interested by
information you might provide them with to write drivers for obscure
Sun peripherals (I for one would be dying to replace old SunOS with
any recent BSD on my Sparcbook... if only there was a X11 port with
the required driver for the LCD screen).
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr