Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 96 01:35:27 -0800
From:      grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   additional serial card woes with 2.1.0

I'm trying to add a second serial card to my system.  (Or to be more
accurate, I upgraded my mother board, and the new board has on-board
ports, which work fine, and I'm now trying to re-install my old serial
card.)  At this point I have seen two problems.  The first is that the
new board is preventing X from working.  I have a miroVideo 20SV, which
uses the S3968 chip.  I've seen the discussions about 0x2e8, and it
sure seems like my problem is related, but I've tried the recommended
solution -- recompiling sio.c with "0x2e8" removed from likely_com_ports
(I also compiled without "0x3e8" -- sio2 -- for good measure).  I've tried
disabling the 2nd com port, using the jumpers on the card.  I'm using
a kernel that doesn't even have more than two serial ports enabled in
the first place (more on that later).  Here's the relevant dmesg output:

    sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
    sio0: type 16550A
    sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
    sio1: type 16550A

The symptom is that when X starts up, the machine hangs.  The hang is
complete -- the three-fingered salute doesn't do anything.  sio1 works
-- I was able to dial out.  I forgot to check whether sio0 (the mouse)
caused any problems (and right now the card is out of the machine).
I've configured my card so that everything else (FDC, HDC, printer
port, serial port 2) are disabled, and serial port 1 is using IRQ 5.
I don't have anything else on IRQ 5 that I know of -- here's the irq
messages in dmesg:

    sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
    sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
    sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
    lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
    fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
    pas0 at 0x388 irq 10 drq 6 on isa
    vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0 int a irq 10 on pci0:11
    ncr0 <ncr 53c810 scsi> rev 2 int a irq 11 on pci0:12

My current status is that I can't have the card _installed_ and run
X at the same time.  Most annoying.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

The other problem is that although I don't really need the 3rd serial
port working in UNIX (I want it set up because I'd like to connect
a music keyboard to it, and use some Windoze 95 software with it),
I wouldn't mind having it working.  However, when I _did_ compile the
kernel with the 3rd serial port enabled, I got a crash during the device
probe stage (it had just probed and found my ProAudioSpectrum card).
I don't have the crash details with me right now, since I wasn't
too concerned, but I was wondering if others have seen similar problems..

	Steven

PS While I'm on the subject, I discoevered to my chagrin that after upgrading
my system, my mouse is not recognized under Windows 95!  Obviously, it works
fine under UNIX (and DOS).  I've done all the obvious Win95 things.. Anyone
seen that?  Guess it's time to start my 90-day Win95 support countdown...