Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:30:09 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:12:40PM +0100, Søren Schmidt stood up and spoke:

> >From what I can tell the newest Epox BIOS for the 8kta3 does *not*
> install the 686b fix when it doesn't detect a SBLive! sound card,
> nice but not good enough :/

There are many information on the 686B bug available on the net, and
looking at all of them and trying to draw some conclusions isn't going to
work, as much of the information that can be found is conflicting.

Actually, I just read an article that "revisited" the 686B in August, a few
months after the fix was released. They claim that they were *only* able to
produce the problem with a SBLive, but not without. Other reports, and that
is the most widely adopted belief, is that the bug can also occur without
the SBLive.

Other reports I read claim to have found similar problems in the MVP3
chipset, as used in a lot of K6-2 systems. According to these articles,
"the 686B is only the latest member of a family of flawed chipsets". More
or less randomly, I got about a mailing list post where multiple Linux
users reported data corruption with the MVP3.

But back to the 686B: I don't know what Linux is currently doing about the
bug, but for some time after the problem was discovered, it seems as if
they simply turned DMA off (a miling list post on this topic said: "...and
now all these high-performance Athlon systems are going to run in 1992 PIO
mode by default").

Well, I guess all of this may well be a little confusing ;-)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany