Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:05:15 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CVSUP and Stability

We're getting ready to put our first FreeBSD production machine
in place (we've used Linux in the past), and I have a quick
question about the strategies you all use for upgrading your machines.

I have the machine synced to 3-stable, which is great, but I can't
be "make worlding" every couple of days, as this *is* a production
machine that needs to be up 24x7.  How do you all handle upgrades/patches
to production machines?

 1) Do you cvsup often and only rebuild parts of the system that change?
    (if this is the case, how do you handle interactions between updated
    kernel files and utilities that interact with the kernel)?

 2) Do you only patch for security and seriously broken things?

 3) Do you put your machines up and forget about them?

TIA!

--Mark