Date:      Mon, 06 May 1996 12:50:38 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
Cc:        owensc@enc.edu (Charles Owens), winter@jurai.net, davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MBUFs leaking?

>Charles Owens writes:
>
>> I am seeing the same behavior as well!  I also have NMBCLUSTERS set to
>> 4096 but according to 'netstat -m', only 156k is allocated to mbufs!!  I
>> was wondering if I was interpretting it correctly.  Any theories?
>
>I always thought that whilst there is a definable upper bound on how many
>clusters might be created, the memory actually used for data was dynamically
>allocated (and freed),

   Clusters are allocated from a private map. Once allocated from the map,
they are allocated and freed from a private pool. NMBCLUSTERS determines the
size of the map and thus the maximum number that can be allocated from it.
The number of clusters currently in-use and in the free pool is what netstat
-m reports, and the total of these thus indicates the peak in-use amount.

-DG

David Greenman