Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:52:58 -0600
From:      Joe Moog <joemoog@ebureau.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to clear a stuck device

We have a FreeBSD host (FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0 r244125) configured =
with a few ZFS storage volumes. Recently we attached an external volume =
to the host, created a GELI-encrypted ZFS volume, and copied some data =
to it. When completed, the device was not disconnected properly. Now, =
any ZFS/zpool commands that attempt to touch that missing device are =
left hanging in perpetuity on the host because it seems to think it can =
still access the volume when in fact it cannot. This is not affecting =
any other functions of the host besides a few scripts that are intended =
to check the health of the attached volumes.

Is there any way to clear the apparent presence of this missing device? =
We tried to re-attach the volume and perform the necessary ZFS =
export/import, but these commands now hang as well (the -f option has no =
effect). No doubt a reboot would take care of it, but there are some =
functions running on this host that we do not wish to interrupt, if at =
all possible. Can anybody make a recommendation?

Thanks

Joe