Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 09:24:23 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        russ <russ@netmon.imt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup

> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:09:34 -0700 (MST)
> From: russ <russ@netmon.imt.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems getting 4.x stable using cvsup.
> If I use the tag RELENG=4 I sometimes get prereleases, maybe stable.
> And of course, if I use the tag RELENG=4_4 I get release, not stable.
> Probably a silly question, but what tag should I use to insure copies of
> 4.x stable?

Stable is always tagged RELENG=4, but it's name changes as it goes
through release cycles. At the moment it's 4.5-STABLE, but, in a few
months, when the 4.6 release cycle starts it will change to
4.6-PRERELEASE and 4.6-RC before changing to 4.6-STABLE when the
release (RELENG_4_6) has been tagged.

But, whatever the name, it's still tagged RELENG_4 and is referred to
as "STABLE".

See the handbook for a discussion of this cycle.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)