Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 21:24:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   fatal trap 12:

I'm running FreeBSD stable 2.1.0
I have a Dell Dimension P75 and have been running it since the day after
it was ftp able.  I got home on break and was trying to set it up to be a
router to the local lan.  I compiled in the option for gateway, and then
rebooted.  Now everytime I reboot it gives an error and reboots again.
The error is below.

gets done with probing for video junk then

swapon: adding /dev/wd0s4b as swap device
Automatic reboot in progress
/devrwd0a: clean, 13055 free (43 frags, 3253 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)
/de/rwd0s3e: clean, 62012 free (88 frags, 15481 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)

fault vertual address   = 0x1ef4e6e7
fault code	    	= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf0192e1e
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 32 (ifconfig)
interrupt mask		= net tty
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 5 5 done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

if I boot the old kernel the same thing happens.  If I boot either with
-s then I can get to root shell level and fsck then fix the directories
and then umount -a and mount - and I can read fine.
but then even if I hand sync the disks "ie sync" and then /sbin/shutdown
-r now" it does the same thing over again!

please help!

thanks

---  Jared
--jared@vt.edu

Sorry about spelling, must be line noise over my ethernet connection!

|  H. Jared Agnew  |  jared@vt.edu   |      |  __|   |  __|
|  http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/~jagnew  |      | |__    | |__
|       phone : (540) 232-4438       |      | ___|   |___ |
|          alias : killdash9         |      | |__     __| |