Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:26:13 +0100
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Peter Maloney <peter.maloney@brockmann-consult.de>
Subject:   Re: Trouble with SSD on SATA

On 2011-11-17 12:20, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:03:26PM +0100, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> On 2011-11-16 18:22, Peter Maloney wrote:
>>> Willem,
>>>
>>> I can only guess, but...
>>>
>>> Is AHCI enabled in the bios? If you are not using 'fake-raid' for any
>>> disks, you should [depending on FreeBSD version, HBA, etc.] probably
>>> enable AHCI. Some servers actually come with SATA set in IDE mode. And
>>> if you are using zfs, the controller optimally should not be RAID at
>>> all. And if you have AHCI enabled already, try disabling it (losing hot
>>> swapping ability, and some performance).
>>
>> ACHI is enabled otherwise I cannot used the last set of SATA
>> connectors with this MB. Controller for these connectors is CH9.
>
> There are two "kinds" of AHCI on FreeBSD -- and I'm speaking strictly
> about the kernel bits, not AHCI the option ROM/BIOS option:
>
> ataahci.ko -- this is "AHCI support using ata(4)"
> ahci.ko    -- this is "AHCI support using CAM(4)"
>
> You want the latter, and I can tell you're using the former (if at all).

I did 'man ahci', and followed it from there.
So now I'm running with ahci.

> There would be no "ata6" if you were using ahci.ko; it would be called
> something like ahcichX, indicating "AHCI channel X".  Furthermore,
> because CAM(4) gets used, your disk device names change from adX to
> adaX.  This is expected.  Using ataahci.ko results in the disks still
> being named adX, because it uses ata(4).

ahci0: <Intel ICH9 AHCI SATA controller> port
0x1c70-0x1c77,0x1c64-0x1c67,0x1c68-0x1c6f,0x1c60-0x1c63,0x1c00-0x1c1f
mem 0xdf923000-0xdf9237ff irq 17 at device 31.2 on pci0
ahci0: [ITHREAD]
ahci0: AHCI v1.20 with 6 3Gbps ports, Port Multiplier supported
ahcich0: <AHCI channel> at channel 0 on ahci0
ahcich0: [ITHREAD]
ahcich1: <AHCI channel> at channel 1 on ahci0
ahcich1: [ITHREAD]
ahcich2: <AHCI channel> at channel 2 on ahci0
ahcich2: [ITHREAD]
ahcich3: <AHCI channel> at channel 3 on ahci0
ahcich3: [ITHREAD]
ahcich4: <AHCI channel> at channel 4 on ahci0
ahcich4: [ITHREAD]
ahcich5: <AHCI channel> at channel 5 on ahci0
ahcich5: [ITHREAD]

> Hope this helps shed some light on the confusion.  Generally speaking
> you want to be using ahci.ko, mav@ and many others have spent a lot of
> time working on that and getting it to play nice with CAM -- it's
> beautiful, and hot-swapping works perfectly on all the Intel ICHxx
> systems I've tried it on (ICH7R, ICH9R).

For the time being I can only concur with you. Scrubbing is way much
faster than with the ata driver.

--WjW