Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:27:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing Linux (was: Sanity regained -- back with the best)

On Monday, 19 July 1999 at  9:56:12 +0200, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> Greg Lehey writes:
>>
>> I installed Debian from the CDs distributed at USENIX.  It was a
>> *whole* lot better than UnixWare, but so far everything has been.
>
> 	Wow, I tried that yesterday, it took _hours_!

But it worked at the end?  It didn't like my Dell Latitude at all.

> 	I had to manually load the eepro100 driver from the driver disk
> 	(the install reminded me of early FreeBSD / NetBSD),

Yes, I got that impression too.  In fact, it reminds me more of early
UnixWare (1.0, back in late 1992).

>        though the package selection mechanism was quite pwerful (definitely
>        not newbie stuff).
>
> 	Also, I was annoyed at not being able to install over FTP.
>
>> I've just completed a backup of the Debian partition, and I'll try
>> RedHat 5.2 next (5.2 because that's what I got given at the NT UNIX
>> Conference last week).
>
> 	I've given up on redhat -- it sends me into convulsions every
> 	time I try to understand their rc files.

I haven't got that far yet.  The installation worked fine once I
guessed what to do with the Disk Droid, but it gave me a list of
Ethernet boards which didn't include my 3C589, so it didn't install
notworking.  So I configured the thing manually and tried to do it
with linuxconf.  I've now got it to display the correct peepholes into
the config, but every time I enter something into them and press
"accept", it erases them without complaining and then replaces them
with the defaults.  At the same time it spits out garbage on the
terminal from which I started it.  Not a very impressive performance.

Ah.  After stopping and restarting linuxconf, it's saved the info
after all.

It also seems to suffer from sporadic networking problems, like this one:

  [root@localhost grog]# emacs /etc&
  [3] 561
  [root@localhost grog]# _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 101
  emacs: Cannot connect to X server freebie:0.
  Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
  Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
  connections from your machine.

  emacs /etc&
  [3]   Exit 1                  emacs /etc
  [root@localhost grog]#

The second time it worked just fine.

Hmm, nothing much wrong with the rc.d stuff.  It looks like it was
stolen from System V.

Greg