Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:35:04 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        safe user <ecsd@ecsd.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xpdf and the wholesale destruction of X-Windows

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9910192244480.27540-100000@picnic.mat.net>, Chuck Rob
ey wrote:
} On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, safe user wrote:
}
} > Let me clarify, then.
} >
} > I do a "make clean" in xpdf, and it does a clean in X11.6 also.
} > Did it kill X itself? No. But for whatever reason, suddenly
} > the following commands failed with "ld.so: can't locate xxxx.so.n.mm"
} > messages:
}
} Dear safe user, the reason he gave you that response is because no one
} else has had that experience.
}
} Is your X stuff in /usr/X11R6?  Did libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib disappear?
} This would mean, generally, that something is *tremendously* broken in
} your entire installation, which is the reason that we're maybe wondering
} if it was only a head-space problem.  See?

He said elsewhere that this was a 3.2 thing, and I don't have anything
around from that vintage, so can't check, but it almost sounds to me like
one of the ports has done an ldconfig at some point with the wrong directories.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com