Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:38:17 -0400
From:      Jim Bloom <bloom@acm.org>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_event.c

I am having problems with "tail -f" hanging the machine.  I don't know if this
change is related, but I suspect that it might be.

I commonly do a "tail -f" of my log file while doing a buildworld.  As soon as I
interrupted the tail, the machine hung.  I then tried to figure out what was
causing the problem.  Eventually, I tracked the problem down to tail.  The
machine would respond to pings, but the keyboard was useless.  It would not
shutdown as well.  One test I tried was to run tail -f under truss.  This
actually kept the machine somewhat usable.  Top showed truss using 75% of the
CPU and tail using the other 25%.  System time was running over 80%.  Truss
reported that tail kept receiving the signal (indefinitely as far as I could
tell) at a high rate of speed.

I tried to get a kernel core dump several times by breaking into ddb, but I
never had any luck.  Here is the backtrace copied by hand:

vec1(c0f8d540,1,bfbffa9c,0,c81b76c0) at vec1+0x2
kevent(c81b76c0,c8bd1f80,280f6b40,4,4) at kevent+0x152
syscall2(2f,2f,2f,4,4) at syscall2+0x1f1
Xinit0x80_syscall() at Xint0x80_syscall+0x25

My kernel and source tree both date from 20:00-22:00 EDT on July 28.

I found the problem to be quite repeatable by simply going "tail -f file" (the
file does not need to change) and then hitting an interrupt on the keyboard.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance in tracking this problem down.  I
might try to spend some time tomorrow figuring out what is happening.

Jim Bloom
bloom@acm.org