Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:52:34 -0400
From:      Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   is 5.x still too unstable?

I am hoping to move some of the servers in our ISP to FreeBSD. I have been
rather hoping 5.2 would be reliable enough, so that we can move to it and
enjoy all the -CURRENT goodness.

The test server locked up yesterday, during some heavy port building, after
running for weeks with no problem.  (-; I've not gone to investigate the
cause yet. But it has me nervous. It's been difficult to get FreeBSD accepted
at all here, so I'm wanting it to make a good impression.

I have run 5 at home since 5.0-Release (currently 20030821 snapshot); and
while there have been problems now and again with a few builds, once these
have been solved my system here has been really very stable, which gave me
hope it would be also OK for work...

So what is the general opinion of those here? Should i play it safe and go
back to 4.x until 5.x becomes officially "stable". Or do people think that
for most general purpose stuff 5.x should be generally stable "enough"?
"Enough" is a bit of a difficult word to define... of course one wants rock
solid for a server... but one may be able to tolerate some sorts of problems
as long as they can be sorted out quickly, and things are moving towards
ultimate stability in the near future. These aren't huge servers (no
multi-processor)... but moderately busy. Running the usual sorts of things...
apache, postfix, python, zope, nfs, etc.

I realise my post may be a little premature when I haven't even checked out
what seems to have taken the test box down yet; but it's been on my mind to
solicit opinions here before this happened, so... any thoughts or experiences
running 5x on ISP servers to share out there? Are some snapshots known to be
better than others? Any tips/tweaks on making 5.x just a little more
stable---even at the cost of performance---than a default install (like
disabling acpi, as the first thing).

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | A man is rich in proportion to the number of
x@veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | things which he can afford to let alone. HDT