Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:35:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Hey, I like CUI. I'd rather install with a CUI than a GUI, all other
> things being equal. And besides some quirks here and there, I really
> like sysinstall.

Its nice, but its not where it should be.

> But the fact is that when we get featured in a magazine article,
> user-friendly install == GUI. No GUI, it's not an user-friendly install.
> End of review. You can kick and scream all you want, that's the way it
> is. Either we live by these rules, or we loose.

A VESA GUI based sysinstall replacement would probably be small enough to
fit on a floppy, yet still have the friendlyness that a new user/reviewer
would look for.

If we follow jkh's outline, making another "front end target" for the
script shouldn't be that hard.  You have X, VESA Syscons, and Text
Syscons.

The script says "ok, prompt user for <blah>", under X it opens a window,
under Text some ASCII dialog, and under VESA a little window.

-  UNIX Operations/Systems               http://www.digitalspark.net  -
-  adams (at) digitalspark.net                    xxx.xxx.xxxx xxxxx  -