Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 14:07:53 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        dlhodge@netcom.com, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please Help. Attempting to load freebsd v2.1 on DeskPro XL 575

On Jan 11, 11:48, Paul Richards wrote:
} Subject: Re: Please Help. Attempting to load freebsd v2.1 on DeskPro XL 57
} >
} > The Ethernet part of that chip is said to
} > work with the Lance driver (lnc0), and you
} > will have to enter some port and irq value
} > (which can be found by repeated reboots
} > with -v, a little inconvenient, I know).
} >
}
} It should do. The chip is basically two chips in one that are
} completely independant of each other and the lnc0 driver should just
} see it as a plain PCnet-PCI chip. It'll probably probe as a PCnet-VL
} chip though because of a known problem in the lance probe code for
} PCI (yes, I'll look at this soon :-)

This would be fine. It has become a FAQ ...
I've looked into the Lance driver, and found that there
are MANY references to the isa device data structure.
But  then, you can easily malloc one from the PCI probe
code ... :)

} I'd be interested to see the probe output too and to hear if the lnc0
} driver does work properly with this chip. The few reports I've had
} suggests it does.

Yes, there have been some success reports. The situation
is not that bad, as all that is required is to enter the
port address and irq into the boot config tool. But the
bad thing is, that the IRQ will not be printed in the PCI
probe message for an "unknown" device. Have considered to
change this... Hmmm, guess I will do it!

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160