Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 17:00:42 +0200
From:      Peter van Dijk <petervd@vuurwerk.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Code Pal VMS

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 04:11:09PM -0700, Brian O'Shea wrote:
> Wait a minute guys, this might be a valid (although not very
> clearly stated) FreeBSD question.  After a little digging around,
> it looks like PALcode is firmware on the DEC Alpha (for which
> there are versions of VMS, as well as FreeBSD).

To be exact, there are globally two versions of Alpha firmware - ARC and
SRM. One is for booting NT (the Linux loader MILO works with it too, and
those are the only two IIRC), the other is for booting VMS and OSF/1
(Digital Unix). You need the second one (which is SRM if I recall
correctly, I keep mixing them up) for FreeBSD/OpenBSD and friends too.

So, his question is quite valid - he needs the VMS firmware to run FreeBSD
on his alpha.

Greetz, Peter.
--
petervd@vuurwerk.nl - Peter van Dijk [student:developer:ircoper]