Date:      Wed, 19 May 2010 14:00:24 HST
From:      osp@aloha.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2 to 8.0 upgrade issues

On Tue, 18 May 2010 13:28:46 -0500 Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:28 AM, n dhert <ndhertbsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Upgrading a freebsd7.2 (i386) system to 8.0
> > After
> > # freebsd-update -r 8.0-RELEASE upgrade
> > # freebsd-update install
> > reboot
> > # freebsd-update install
> > I did
> > # portupgrade -af --batch --yes
> > after 17 hours (mostly during the night..), it finished with
> > --->  ** Upgrade tasks 425: 199 done, 1 ignored, 3 skipped and 1 failed
> > (no error messages here..)
> > Unfortunately, I didn't log the screen output to a file ..
> > - how can I find out what port failed and which where skipped and ignored?
> > - is it normal this didn't recompile all 425 ports?
> > - to rebuild the failed port: is # portupgrade -fr <failed-port>  OK?

..
> but make sure you're following /usr/ports/UPDATING.

This is extremely important. The UPDATING file is in reverse chronological
order and each ent list the port affected.

I am a fan of portupgrade.

To get a list of ports that are not up to date use pkg_version -v.

At this point you should not need the -f option to portupgrade. No need to
waste time rebuilding ports that do not ned rebuilding. portupgrade -a
should be all you need.

Another way to reveal what did not get updated is to run

portupgrade -an

The -n will cause portupgrade to show what it would do without actually
doing anything. This won't help when port B depends on something in port A
that will be updated.

Another portupgrade option that may help you is -R.

Put it all together and you get

portupgrade -aR --batch

Note that the handbook does not show -a and -R being used together. My
thinking is that without the -R a new version of an existing port that
requires something new -- that you do not already have -- will fail. Rather
unlikely, to start with portupgrade -a --batch and use -R only if you still
getb errors.

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project