Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:35:33 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: href=rtsp

The following is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message
created by Enigmail/Mozilla, following RFC 2440 and RFC 2015
--------------enig45B86E91C38C3D6032E4578F

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
>>'video/vnd.mpegurl' and stuff like that.
>

> Well, when we come to the rtsp://bla/bla.mp4 url, what mime.type would
> you suggest? I think rtsp is just rtsp.

rtsp is a _protocol_, which could, in theory, carry all sorts of
content. It depends on the browser, it might allow plugins to make
themselves the default handler for a whole protocol. Or it might
recognize the mime-type from the file extension, be it from a build-in
list or from a user-definition, but not the protocol, and as a
consequence feed the whole URL to the helper-application configured for
that mime-type. The behaviour of Netscape 4, should it be the way you
describe it and unchangably so would be quite braindead, but then - it's
Netscape 4.

Regards,
--
Michael Nottebrock
"The circumstance ends uglily in the cruel result." - Babelfish

--------------enig45B86E91C38C3D6032E4578F