Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 97 00:07:35 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Fred" <fred@lightside.net>, "sthaug@nethelp.no" <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Compiling BIND 8.1.1 under FreeBSD 2.1.7

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:49:01 +0200, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

>> >I am running into a brick wall trying to compile BIND 8.1.1 under FreeBSD.
>> >Make clean and make depend die with a syntax error:
>> 	If your objective is truly to change to BIND 8, then upgrading
>> FreeBSD is the only option.  If you want a secure DNS, then I am fairly
>> sure that BIND 4.9.6 should build on a FreeBSD 2.1.x system, so you might
>> consider that as an interim step.
>
>No, upgrading is not the *only* option, even if it is definitely the
>I would recommend. You can certainly get BIND 8.1.1 to compile on
>FreeBSD 2.1.7. See below.

	I was not aware that there was a solution available for compiling BIND
8.1.1 on FreeBSD 2.1.x systems, congratulations.  Now if only the ISC will see fit
to include it. :)  Fred wrote to me indicating that he got it to work, so more power
to him.  In any case, I agree that upgrading to FreeBSD 2.2.x is still a better
option. :)  The only thing that confuses me is whether or not I should install the
8.1.1 libs in the real locations, or leave them in the "safe" directories that the
installation routine puts them in.  It runs fine following all the defaults, so I haven't
messed with the other yet.  I plan to set up a test system to fool with asap, but it's
not a priority.  Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Doug

The man who fears nothing, loves nothing.