Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:57:40 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   No route for 127/8 to lo0 (?)

[ Sigh.  I had hoped to keep this to the uk mailing list, limiting the
  exposure of my ignorance.  Sadly I now have to expose it to the whole
  world.  This is on a 3.x-stable system. ]

In the course of debugging why Samba was bringing my modem link up
periodically, I discovered it was sending netbios packets to
127.255.255.255.  Because the relevent entries from the routing table
looked like

Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            158.152.1.222      UGSc       22        0     tun0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0      201      lo0
[...]

127.255.255.255 was going out of the default route, tun0, and bringing
the line up.

Obviously, there are several ways to fix this.  You could add a network
route ("route add -net 127 -interface lo0"), you could configure PPP's
dial filter to ignore them, or you could filter them with a firewall.

I thought that 127/8 was the "local net", and that packets sent to any of
those addresses would go via the loopback interface.  That seems to be
how Linux and Windows 98 do things (the only systems I can check this on
at the moment).  Assuming that's the case, why does FreeBSD only add a
a host route to 127.0.0.1, and not a network route for 127/8?  Various
other people have confirmed that they only have a 127.0.0.1 host route
as well, so I don't believe this is a misconfiguration of my system.

Or am I misguided, and need to go buy a copy of Stevens?