Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2007 15:34:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ted Hatfield <ted@pat.io.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in less version 406.

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:08:47PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>>  For me this is one of those intermittent faults.  Sometimes it segfaults,
>>  and sometimes it doesn't.
>
> I can't reproduce this on any of the 3 systems I have easy access to,
> either with less -E or more.
>
> The less options I use, for what it's worth:
>
> LESS=-MRX
> LESSHISTFILE=-
>
> Could this be a terminal definition problem?  I use TERM=xterm, SSH
> session is via PuTTY.

TERM=vt100, SSH session via SecureCRT version 3.3.

I copied the binaries for less and more version 394 from another machine
which I haven't updated yet and those binaries work without issues.

What the exact problem is I not sure but it's probably something in the
version 4 code tree for less.  I've emailed a bug report to the author at
markn@greenwoodsoftware.com.

This bug isn't system breaking and I've told my user that found the bug to
see if he could work around it.

I mostly wanted to see if anyone else could replicate the problem before I
looked into sending a bug report.

Ted Hatfield