Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:53:30 -0400
From:      Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta@gmail.com>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best practices for securing SSH server

> I do not believe that tricks like running ssh on a
> non standard port or using port-knocking provide
> much extra security.

I can understand that varying the port is not a very strong defensive
measure, but I don't understand your point about port-knocking.

If you configure a complex and seemingly random sequence of knocks
before allowing an IP access to your ssh port, have you not
significantly strengthened your ssh server?