Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:08:20 -0500
From:      Steve Lake <steve.lake@raiden.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Booting a Freebsd HD on a windows box?

         Hi all.  I'm looking to merge two of my machines in my home office
into one to free up the second one for other uses, but one is a windows
machine, the second is my freebsd 5.3x machine.  Can I just move the HD
from the Freebsd machine over to the windows machine and add something to
the boot.ini file to make it bootable from the windows boot prompt, or do I
have to do something else?  Or can I just mirror the HD from the BSD box
into an image file, then just mount and boot that image using Vmware and
run it as a virtual machine?  I'm trying to find the simplest, most hassle
free way to merge the two machines without much tinkering with the existing
installs.  Any suggestions is welcome.  I only picked merging the bsd box
into the windows machine because the windows machine has the better hardware.

Steven Lake
Owner/Technical Writer
Raiden's Realm
www.raiden.net