Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2018 17:21:12 -0600
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPMI SOL seems to not accept characters after getty starts

--u43UdAYhKcC6GF8qwvdZq1YMGC6ATk0Uc
From: Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>
To: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc: freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>

--8ZgOx1t7TpFRs0bBQW5Qg8qa0KNipxAdo

On 08/08/18 17:13, Warner Losh wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org
> <mailto:sbruno@freebsd.org>> wrote:
>=20
>     tl;dr pxeboot new x86 host, ipmi sol works in loader, not after
>     multiuser.
>=20
>     The FreeBSD cluster just acquired 4x Supermicro X11DDW-L and I am h=
aving
>     the hardest time with the IPMI SOL interface.
>=20
>     I have configured "COM2" as the IPMI SOL interface and enabled cons=
ole
>     redirection.=C2=A0 Netbooting via pxeboot works well and the loader=
 menu is
>     interactive and responds.
>=20
>     After NFS booting into freebsd (current or stable/11), getty fires =
up
>     and attaches to ttyu0.=C2=A0 It prompts me correctly, but it does n=
ot accept
>     my keystrokes.
>=20
>     If I do not configure /etc/ttys to enable a tty unconditionally (on=
 vs
>     onifconsole), I see dmesg/kernel boot messages but never get a tty.=

>=20
>     Its as though FreeBSD does *not* recognize the IPMI SOL port as the=

>     console or something and I'm super confused.=C2=A0 Any thoughts her=
e?
>=20
>=20
> Works fine for me.
>=20
> So, let's start with your /boot.config (or /boot/config) loader.conf an=
> device,hints settings. Also BIOS or UEFI?
>=20
> Warner
> =C2=A0

Works for you on this exact Supermicro?

I am using the defaults all around.  This is booting BIOS mode PXE, all
console output appears on the IPMI SOL interface.  Driving the beastie
menu in pxeboot/loader works fine.  When the loader hands the uart off
to the kernel, I see all boot output and "everything is fine"

The problem arises when trying to login.  I see the amnesiac login
prompt, but no key strokes are registered.

loader.conf:
console=3D"comconsole"
comconsole_speed=3D"115200"

boot.config: