Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:40:21 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
To:        Sabeeh Baig <sbaig1@jhu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Desktop Install Option

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Sabeeh Baig<sbaig1@jhu.edu> wrote:
> So, I've been wondering about something. =A0FreeBSD is a general purpose
> operating system, even though it has historically only heavily been used =
on
> servers. =A0Why is it that FreeBSD doesn't provide a desktop installation=
,
> something similar to say Debian's option of "Standard Desktop"? =A0For th=
ose
> who need it, it'd be great.
>
> --
>
> Sabeeh Ahmed Baig

I am of the opinion that specializing in everything is the same thing
as specializing in nothing.  (Said another way:  If everything is a
priority, nothing is.)  Every operating system has its strengths and
weaknesses.  The more an operating system becomes
all-things-to-all-users, the more it tends to lose its comparative
edge in any one area.

All of that being said,  PC-BSD is a desktop solution on FreeBSD.  You
can download it for free or purchase it with support:
http://www.pcbsd.org/

Andrew